[CQ-Contest] Re: Short contest calls.

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Re: Short contest calls.
From: kharker@cs.utexas.edu (Kenneth E. Harker)
Date: Tue Dec 3 07:48:16 2002
On Tue, Dec 03, 2002 at 09:05:10AM +0200, Vladimir V. Sidorov wrote:

> Examples.
> 1. OK, K6 can mean any part of the USA. Let's imagine, I work K6XXX who is
> located in Hawaii, he gives me 599 31 and DOES NOT sent in his log. Without
> his log in hands the log checking system does not know his location and can
> only ASSUME that either his location was KH6 (but I don't think, a log
> checking program will go for assumptions about actual locations of
> particular stations), or I just messed up zones 31 and 3, because most of
> "normal" K6's are in the zone 3. In any case, most probably this contact
> will not count at all and I will miss a double mult and can even be
> penalized. But if he signs as KH6/K6XXX amd makes a few more contacts even
> without sending in the log, I will get the double mult...
> And what if we are talking about a double mult on 160?
> Quite a difference, no?.

Why are you speculating on how the log checking software will handle
this situation?  Unfortunately, I'm afraid some will read this and conclude
that the log checking software assumes that all K6 prefixes are in CQ zone
3 - for which you have absolutely no evidence.  You could simply ask the
log checkers about this - I'm sure they'd be glad to explain.

And why would you _ever_ log something semantically different from what
the other operator sent just because you're trying to second-guess the
log checking software?

Kenneth E. Harker      "Vox Clamantis in Deserto"      kharker@cs.utexas.edu
University of Texas at Austin                   Amateur Radio Callsign: WM5R
Department of the Computer Sciences      VP, Central Texas DX & Contest Club
Taylor Hall TAY 2.124                         Maintainer of Linux on Laptops