[CQ-Contest] Short contest calls.

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Short contest calls.
From: jjreisert@alum.mit.edu (Jim Reisert AD1C)
Date: Tue Dec 3 08:53:37 2002
At 04:47 PM 12/2/2002 +0000, Tim Makins, EI8IC wrote:

>And what right have they got to waste the time of busy people like Jim
>AD1C and others who have to track them down and enter them into the .cty
>lists ???

The country file is more to prevent you from missing a needed multiplier
than to help you copy the zone correctly.  The country file can also
prevent you from wasting your time when an out-of-zone station is spotted
on packet, i.e. AA6TT who we have never worked from Zone 3, but have worked
from Zone 4 and Zone 5.  It *just so happens* that both purposes are served
by an accurate country file.  USA callsigns not withstanding, of course
:-)  Yes, it can be viewed as a "crutch" as K0HB put it, but I prefer not
to think of it that way.

73 - Jim AD1C

p.s.  IMO, non-standard calls are confusing and more trouble than they're
worth.

USA +978-251-9933, <jjreisert@alum.mit.edu>, http://www.ad1c.com
PGP Fingerprint: D8E2 3D78 339F A7F1 8C13  1193 B5D1 4FB6 79D1 70DC