[CQ-Contest] Callsigns and such

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Callsigns and such
From: ve4xt@mb.sympatico.ca (Kelly Taylor)
Date: Wed Mar 12 21:36:41 2003
Hi all,

Which is more important, a short snappy call that CQs nicely or a longer, a
la WD4AHZ, call that kind of hangs out of the tail end of a pileup? I'd say
that unless you spend a lot of time QRPing, the short, snappy call has the
edge. The time saved in CQs, particularly on CW, I think, would be greater
than time saved in a pileup, which usually now happens on the second radio
or in the second VFO anyway...

Just a thought.

I've recently come to the conclusion that the absolute best call for CW is
W6EEN.

There's just something lyrical to the weighting and the combination of
characters that's almost magical. I can hear W6EEN deep into pileups and
pick it out like nothing.

I like my call on CW, but am less enamoured of it on phone. It often gets
busted to X-ray Yankee or Echo Tango or Echo Yankee. That might change when
I stop loading up the bedsprings and get a real antenna...

VE4VV is also, IMHO, a good CW call.

With apologies to Dave and Tom, if I had to scream Tango Tango Tango all
weekend long I'd end up dangling from the mic cord. As in, from the neck.

I think any of the TexasRadio combinations, with the exception of the NA5
variety, work really well on phone.

73, kelly,
ve4xt