[CQ-Contest] VHF/UHF antennas for a truck

Subject: [CQ-Contest] VHF/UHF antennas for a truck
From: geoiii@kkn.net (George Fremin III)
Date: Sat Jun 7 11:04:23 2003
On Fri, Jun 06, 2003 at 11:42:15PM -0500, Tree Tyree N6TR wrote:

> K4BEV writes:
>
> > Mine's in my truck (IC-706 - KJ7U screwdriver - VHF vert) . What about some
> > ideas for effective contest antennas that can be used from a pick-up? Sort
> > of
> > like VHF Field Day.
> > Except for an FM xcvr for the local repeaters, everything at the house is
> > HF
> > and I'd like to try this contest. Sounds like FUN.
>
> Here is one example of effective VHF/UHF antennas on a truck:
>
> http://www.kkn.net/~k5tr/photo/n2jmh/N2JMH%20Rover%204.jpg

Tree is correct - that would be effective.

I would like to add that for you and others that do not have
antennas for the VHF bands that you can still get on either with
the 5/8 wave 2m vertical that you can use on 6m and 2m or even
some very simple antennas - you don't have to have 10 elements or
more to work quite a few stations.

It does help to have the same polarization as the station you are
are trying to work.  Most of the stations on the CW/SSB part of the band
are using horizontal antennas and you really need that too.

One way to do that is to put the 5/8 wave 2 meter mag mount
in a horizontal position - this will really work - the other is to build
a dipole or quad for 2m and 70cm.  If you have a small 4 ele 2m yagi
those work great as well.  From a good location you can do well with
these simple antennas. Since you are mobile you can usually move
to some really great locations.

> If your radio does six meters, a 5/8 wave 2 meter mag mount works
> FB as a six meter antenna.

One more point - for E-skip you can lave this antenna in it's
normal vertical position and it will work just fine since the polarization
is pretty random.

--
George Fremin III - K5TR
geoiii@kkn.net