Re: [CQ-Contest] Question about CQWW rules

To: "K4SB" <k4sb@earthlink.net>, <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Question about CQWW rules
From: "Spederson" <spederson@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2003 23:19:56 -0500
Hi Ed,

Mike K5NZ and I had a very interesting discussion about this earlier this
year.  While I believe you heard it from an ARRL member that it was allowed,
this is *NOT* necessarily what the DXCC rules state:

9. All stations must be contacted from the same DXCC Entity. The location of
any station shall be defined as the location of the transmitter. For the
purposes of this award, remote operating points must be located within the
same DXCC Entity as the transmitter and receiver.

-->My take - having a buddy in another country work P5 for me would not be
allowed.

10. All contacts must be made using callsigns issued to the same station
licensee. Contacts made by an operator other than the licensee must be made
from a station owned and usually operated by the licensee and must be made
in accordance with the regulations governing the license grant. Contacts may
be made from other stations provided they are personally made by the
licensee. The intent of this rule is to prohibit credit for contacts made
for you by another operator from another location. You may combine
confirmations from several callsigns held for credit to one DXCC award, as
long as the provisions of Rule 9 are met. Contacts made from club stations
using a club callsign may not be used for credit to an individual's DXCC.

---> My Take - I do MUCH of my operating from K5NA.  If I work a DX entity
"FROM" K5NA using Richard's call, Richard can claim DXCC credit - this would
be allowed under rule 10, as it's his station.  Likewise, if I work a DX
entity from K5NA's station using "MY" callsign, that is also allowed
(assuming it's still within my home DXCC entity) because, the contact is
"PERSONALLY" made by me.  The CAVEAT: Many consider it inappropriate to DX
using your own callsign with the Host's equipment during a contest.
Before-or-after is up to the Host.

To me, the bottom line is it would be difficult (or impossible) to police
this, since the ARRL and their card checkers would have no proof other than
the QSL card that the contact took place.  Therefore, it all comes down to
Integrity - the DXCC program is run by individuals who work hard to maintain
the Integrity of the DXCC program - otherwise it would JUST be another piece
of paper.  Likewise, I think the vast majority of participants take their
own integrity seriously enough to *NOT* circumvent the rules.

Sorry this got off topic.  I like CQWW's rule that allows stations to go
home from a MM and work the contest.  More power to 'em.  I wish I had
10,000 newcomers to work this weekend....

73!
Scott - KI5DR
http://www.ki5dr.com