Re: [CQ-Contest] JA QSL Collecting Contest

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] JA QSL Collecting Contest
From: rin JG1VGX <jg1vgx@jarl.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2004 18:47:10 +0900
Hi,
I'm one of the JAs who send outgoing QSLs for every (contest or not)
QSO. I'm not doing awards but I simply enjoy looking at ethnic QSLs sent
to me via JARL every other months.

My thinking is if I don't receive any returning card, that's just fine.
I would never complain for that.

However, the problem is I would send out the next QSL automatically to
the same station without knowing he may not respond. This may bother you
so much.

If he is JA2xxx, he may be retired (because this is old callsign) and
collecting QSLs may be his precious after-retirement hobby. We are
receiving a lot of duplicate QSL requests for inland QSOs also (inland
QSL via BURO is also free here if one is JARL member) and I would
respond them automatically. I see this as my responsibility doing this
hoppy (just my personal opinion).

Ham radio hobby has many narcissistic facets and some may be bothered by
this. I am also often bothered by other peoples' narcissistic requests
in other occassions.

Sorry to be too wordy, but the bottom line is:

YOU CAN IGNORE THEM. NO PROBLEM!!

73 de rin JG1VGX

n6ki> This is a copy of a letter I recently sent to ARRL
n6ki>
n6ki>
n6ki> Dear Sir or Madam,
n6ki>
n6ki>   This is a matter that concerns me and many other radio amateurs
n6ki> who QSL religiously and receive many JA QSL cards from contests.
n6ki>
n6ki>   I had heard rumor that MANY Japanese amateurs were involved in
n6ki> obtaining as many non JA QSL cards from hams all over the world for some
n6ki> sort of contest. It gets to be very annoying, expensive and time
n6ki> consuming to
n6ki> send QSL cards to the same guy many times over for same BAND/MODE
n6ki> contacts!!!
n6ki>
n6ki> Here is what is written on a QSL card recently received from JA2OLJ
n6ki>
n6ki> ....."Please send me your QSL Card for the Award that is the greatest One
n6ki> in Japan
n6ki> named Sekai 10,000 KYOKU YOMIURI AWARD. The Award needs 10,000 cards or
n6ki> more
n6ki> from many DX stations without JA"
n6ki>
n6ki>   At this point I am inclined to ignore all JA cards that do not arrive
n6ki> with
n6ki> S.A.S.E., IRCs or Green Stamps
n6ki>
n6ki>   I see no inherent value for anyone other than the JA stations
n6ki> collecting QSL cards for a frivolous award.
n6ki>
n6ki> 73, Dennis Vernacchia N6KI
n6ki> San Diego
n6ki>
n6ki> P.S. - I see on his card that this card to me was #48,183....I am sure
n6ki> the QSL printers
n6ki> are the only ones that are happy and benefiting from this