RE: [CQ-Contest] Dealing with eBay

To: "'Mike Gilmer - N2MG'" <n2mg@contesting.com>,<cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [CQ-Contest] Dealing with eBay
From: "Joe Subich, K4IK" <k4ik@subich.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2004 10:38:30 -0500

> From: Mike Gilmer - N2MG
>
> I clicked "Help" in their top menu, then "Contact Us"
> in their left menu, then "Report a listing violation",
> then "Prohibited (banned) items", then "Electronics".
> Next I clicked the "Email" link under "Contact
> Support:" at which point I had to log in and was then
> presented with a form in which to enter the
> questionable item numbers.
>
> Anyway, I got some kind of automated reply saying
> they'd look into it.  We shall see.

Don't count on it ... I used to report every non-amateur
amplifier that appeared on the site.  eBay has essentially
taken the stand as long as the description says the amp
is not legal for CB they will accept the listing on the
grounds that it will be purchased by an amateur or
commercial user for "legal" uses.

eBay does not understand (or refuses to accept) the concept
of FCC registration (and that any amplifier requires that
registration number to be legal).  Unfortunately, the FCC
does not monitor eBay (they will respond to complaints)
and cannot react quickly enough to "catch" short duration
auctions.

73,

   ... Joe, K4IK