RE: [CQ-Contest] ANOTHER SMELLY SUBJECT

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [CQ-Contest] ANOTHER SMELLY SUBJECT
From: "Gerry Hull" <gerry@w1ve.com>
Date: Sun, 4 Apr 2004 11:02:26 -0400
Wah, Wah, Wah...

You guys sound like my 18-month-old twin girls!!

Have you ever heard of the honor system?

If you win a contest or set a record because you ran 10KW, is that
honorable?
If you lost to the station (you think is running) 10KW, do you feel cheated?
(Why?)
A recipe for cheating:
        - Your emphasis is ALWAYS being #1 or setting records
        - You constantly miss this goal
        - You blame your loss on the "cheaters" out there  -- self spotters,
single-ops-using-packet, power,
          whatever

How about competing to the best of your station and personal abilities, and
be happy with your own result?
If you are not happy with the result, work on your station and skills.
Don't whine about the cheaters!

It is impossible for contest committees to police the entire amateur
population.   Outside of scoring issues, they use the honor system.  This is
why you will rarely (or never) see someone disqualified for "running heat".

The nature of electromagnetic propagation, the physics of our earth and the
location of population centers around the globe will determine who will
generate the largest scores... to a point.   It has been proven, again and
again, that skill (both operating and engineering) can overcome these
obstacles.   Without cheating.

That said, should we as a community ignore blatant cheating?  No!  Peer
pressure is a good thing.  However, whining about so-and-so who (supposedly)
ran power during a contest does nothing positive.

73,

Gerry, W1VE/VE1RM

See you /M in the NEQP!