Re: [CQ-Contest] RE: Meaningful Contest Exchange

To: "CQ Contest Reflector" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] RE: Meaningful Contest Exchange
From: "Kelly Taylor" <ve4xt@mb.sympatico.ca>
Date: Mon, 10 May 2004 22:33:18 -0500
It seems the folk who think hard exchanges should be easy to explain are
assuming, possibly in error, that the casual operator is going to care
enough to listen...

As much as 'we' may like the idea of complicated exchanges to spice up
contests, we have to remember that what makes WW and WPX, and even ARRL DX
and 10 meter contests so much fun is the large number of non-competing
stations who get on for a short time, blast through contacts till they've
had their fill and then go mow the grass.

Although I have little empirical data to base this conclusion on, I think
it's sound: the more difficult you make a contest, the larger number of
non-competing stations you weed out. Just compare activity levels during a
CW sprint, possibly the most difficult contest ever invented (not a slight,
I like the contest, even if I don't do well in it at all), to the levels of,
say, WW or WPX, possibly the easiest contests ever invented. (Note in this
example, level of difficulty is based on the ability of a casual op to tune
in and intuitively figure out how to compete, not about how easy or not it
is to win. Note also that the comparison holds up even if you restrict the
comparison to domestic activity, since Sprints are domestic.)

It would be interesting to compare the number of valid callsigns recorded in
submitted logs in WW or WPX against the number of submitted logs. I suspect
the comparison would show that we need the non-competing stations more than
they need us.

This isn't to shoot down the idea altogether. If you want a contest with
meaningful exchanges, all you have to do is start one. Please, by all means,
go ahead. I'll give it a shot. The results would be a lot more, shall we
say, meaningful than endlessly debating the subject here, no?

73, kelly
ve4xt