Re: [CQ-Contest] Packet Cheerleaders

To: kd4d@comcast.net
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Packet Cheerleaders
From: "Kenneth E. Harker" <kenharker@kenharker.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2004 15:41:39 -0800
On Tue, Nov 09, 2004 at 10:58:14PM +0000, kd4d@comcast.net wrote:
> Hi Ken:
>
> Is there a SINGLE contest with a rule against "Cheerleading" spots?

There is none at present.  This is a relatively new phenomenon on the
packet cluster network.  It's only been two or three years since I first
noticed it, and ZF2MM in early 2002 was the first to really exploit it.
Contest rules are generally not that fast to adapt, even if a universally-
agreed-upon solution were at hand, which there is not, as of yet.

> I can't think of one offhand.  Also, a lot of the spotting may be
> being done by casual participants who don't care much about
> the competition.

Casual participants who don't care about the competition are not
"cheerleaders."

Cheerleaders are those who are intentionally trying to influence the
outcome of the competition in favor of one particular station or contest
club through the abuse of the spotting network.

> 73,
>
> Mark
>

> > On Tue, Nov 09, 2004 at 08:58:07AM -0700, Mike Fatchett wrote:
> >
> > > Self spotting is a problem.  If your buddy wants to spend all contest
> > > chasing you around the bands and spotting you so be it.  I bet it doesn't
> > > happen that much.
> >
> > I believe it happens _a lot_ in the larger contest clubs.  Check out this
> > example from 2002:
> >
> > http://lists.contesting.com/archives//html/CQ-Contest/2002-03/msg00080.html
> >
> > This happened more-or-less spontaneously - the operator of ZF2MM did not
> > specifically ask his contest club buddies to spot him while he was in
> > the Cayman Islands, but some of his contest club buddies spotted him 30
> > or more times while spotting basically nobody else in the contest - and
> > collectively made sure that he was spotted every five minutes or so for
> > long stretches of time.
> >
> > Even though it wasn't planned in advance, was it fair to ZF2MM's competition
> > that ZF2MM had what amounted to an entire team of spotters promoting his
> > contest effort all weekend long on the cluster network?
> >
> > Is there a lot of similar behavior going on at a not-quite-this-obvious
> > level?  Sure.  Is there a lot of similar behavior going on where the
> > spotters go to some trouble to hide their own identities?  I would bet on
> > that, too.
> >
> > Cheerleaders on packet are a significant problem.
> >

> > Perhaps one way to solve the problem, since a lot of it can be traced
> > to Club Competition, or misplaced pride in one's contest club, is to
> > have contest sponsors identify the cheerleaders and ban them from entering
> > contest scores for some period of time after their infraction (12 months?
> > Maybe with one warning?  Maybe publish the calls of those caught doing it?)
> >
> > This wouldn't stop all cheerleaders, but certainly for those motivated
> > by improving their club's score, this would dissuade the behaviour.
> > Thoughts?
> >
> > --
> > Kenneth E. Harker WM5R
> > kenharker@kenharker.com