Re: [CQ-Contest] Packet Cheerleaders

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Packet Cheerleaders
From: K3BU@aol.com
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2004 11:18:17 EST
In a message dated 11/10/2004 7:24:42 AM Eastern Standard Time,
ve4xt@mb.sympatico.ca writes:
>>I get such a kick out of the complete absurdity of this sentiment. Yes, it's
admirable to want to be a  'pure' amateur radio operator. I support
wholeheartedly this person's desire to go back to basics. Where it runs
afoul, IMHO, is in trying to force that sentiment on others who don't share
it.<<

Absurd in ham radio circles.
In the rest of the world, things are done with some reasons and rules.
According to above, we should not have sailboat races (because we have engines
now)
nor Marathon (because we have motorcycles) nor glider races (because we have
jet planes).
So we have "last two" hams chasing DXCC on the lists (shooting animals in the
ZOO), single op contesters going "alone" with army of spotters on packet.
If the rules say so and so, it is not forcing sentiment of others, it is
rules. You either play by them or not. If there is cheating going on, and there
are ways of pointing it out, it can only help to level the playing field.
Good thing it is only a hobby/sport :-)

Yuri K3BU.us