Re: [CQ-Contest] Packet Cheerleaders

To: "CQ Contest" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Packet Cheerleaders
From: "Tom Osborne" <w7why@charter.net>
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2004 18:40:43 -0800
kd4d wrote:

> We certainly don't want to try to "force" the casual folks to do
anything!

> Almost anything that increases participation is a good thing.  The
> guys chasing countries or zones or states or islands or prefectures
> are vital to the future of contesting.

I can think of a couple of good things to really get the casuals into
the contest.

In the cw contests, make it a rule that all exchanges have to be sent
at 5 wpm or less.  That would REALLY increase casual participation.

In SSB contests, we would have to learn the "10 code" to go along with
Q signals.  Make "you're wall to wall and tree top tall" part of the
exchange instead of the tired old "59."  Now that would get the
newbies involved.   73
Tom W7WHY