[CQ-Contest] windows-based contest programs: a question..

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>, <ve4xt@mb.sympatico.ca>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] windows-based contest programs: a question..
From: "Jamie Dupree" <2004@jdupree.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2004 11:09:09 -0500
VE4XT wrote:
--
I think it's wise to start stockpiling working DOS machines.

There's enough crap on the operating table and enough stuff to do with two
hands without having to fight with a friggin' mouse.

Hopefully the Windows-based logger architects will wake up soon.

73, kelly
ve4xt
----

Have to strongly disagree with you Kelly.  I use Writelog and my
mouse sits over on the side of the desk the entire contest without
being used at all....as does my keyer.   Writelog now has a fantastic
internal program to reassign anything on your keyboard
for one touch shortcuts that have enabled me to do away
with the mouse entirely, even when dealing with bandmaps.

And the recent WL improvements with voice keying have been
impressive as well (all my humble opinion obviously.)

I know it's tough to give up the ole favorite DOS contest
programs....but the future is clearly not black screen based.

The future is a multiple screen, multiple windows (and
maybe multiple computer) operating environment
that puts the power of your computers and radios
to work in a contest.

Years ago, I remember thinking that we were hurting our
contest hobby by the use of computer generated CW.
Got over that one pretty fast.....

73 Jamie NS3T