[CQ-Contest] Here we go again

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Here we go again
From: "Jamie Dupree" <ns3t@arrl.net>
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2004 21:20:38 -0500
Dale KG5U wrote:

To me, SO2R is a tool, just like the electronic keyer, electronic keyers
with memory, computer logging and other modern peripherals.

Whether it is a 'serious advantage' or not again depends on the operator and
how much time he/she spends learning SO2R and improving his score and
performance.

-----

My two cents worth from someone who is almost 99% S&P in every
big DX contest (a serial S&P'er with no towers, no beams, no loops, etc.)

As for dealing with two signals in each ear - that can be very confusing,
even for someone who is NOT calling CQ.  I struggled again this weekend
with putting stations in my two bandmaps and then not really doing
a good job to go back and get them.  SO2R does not guarantee you a hi score.

I hear a lot of argument about cost, etc.  A decent second radio isn't hard
to find.  One of mine is an IC-706.  Yeah, it ain't much, but it has almost
gotten me 5BDXCC with only wires...so I know they work and they're cheap.

I have done SO2R on a very low budget.  As for antennas:

160, it's a Butternut vertical.  I can switch that to both radios.
My 80 meter inverted vee goes to my 706.
My 40 meter dipole goes to my Kenwood.
My ten meter dipole goes to my 706.
The dipoles for 15 and 20 can be shared by both radios.

So there was no 'extra' cost in terms of 'extra' antennas for SO2R.
Just some antenna switches.  The only real cost was bandpass filters
which are really a must so you can hear on the second radio.

I am at the max in terms of antennas.  So it didn't take me long
to figure that SO2R was the only way I could put up a decent
score in a DX contest (even though I will probably never beat
the low power big shots who can CQ and run.)

In the end - I don't see this as any different from the drive to improve
your antennas.  You are trying to get the most out of your station.
Some of you have huge beams and stacks.  I have some dipoles.

SO2R is a logical step and has been for years.  20 plus years ago
I operated the IARU (back when it was 48 hours and had VHF too)
I had the main radio, a second radio to monitor 10 meters for any
openings, one radio on 2 meters, and one on 6 meters.

Why is a second radio only so disturbing now and not back in the day?

Jamie NS3T