RE: [CQ-Contest] Physical conditioning and contesting

To: "'Dave N2NL'" <daven2nl@gmail.com>, <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [CQ-Contest] Physical conditioning and contesting
From: "Dick Green WC1M" <wc1m@msn.com>
Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2004 16:32:20 -0500
I can corroborate everything you said. I didn't consider myself obese
either, but the charts indicated I was borderline and I was certainly
overweight and soft. I lost 50 lbs between January and May (size 40 waist to
about size 33.) The first 35 lbs came off almost exclusively by counting
calories, eating a well-balanced diet, and cutting out saturated fats and
highly-processed foods. Substituted reasonable portions of whole grain carbs
for unreasonable portions of processed carbs. Ate tons of fruits and
vegetables. Didn't cut out major food groups or eat bags of fried pork
rinds. Basically, the only truths in dieting are: "calories in -- calories
out" and "don't eat junk." Once you accept those truths, the rest is
straightforward. The last 15 lbs was a combination of continuing the
sensible diet and exercising more  -- because after losing so much weight I
felt like it. I figured one major lifestyle change at a time was enough.

Results: I did the entire 48 hours of CQ WW CW this year with less than an
hour and a half of sleep. I felt relatively good throughout, much better
than last year. I wouldn't say it was a piece of cake -- there were times
when I felt awful and times when I fell asleep momentarily in the chair. But
it was a far more tolerable experience, especially the first day, which has
traditionally been the hardest time for me. The enjoyment level was much,
much higher, too. Better contest endurance has been one of the many pluses
from losing all that excess weight (down 50 points in cholesterol was
probably more important, though...)

Note: losing a lot of weight did not enable me to win the contest. It will
take a massive weight gain in steel, aluminum and gray matter to do that!

73, Dick WC1M