Re: [CQ-Contest] How frequent to ID? Every QSO? No way!

To: <ve5ra@sasktel.net>, <CQ-Contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] How frequent to ID? Every QSO? No way!
From: "Vladimir V. Sidorov" <eu1sa@belsonet.net>
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2005 14:22:09 -0000
Doug,
Let me in.
I'd still stay with Hans. The more a station works w/o IDing, the more
(patient) people are accumulated at his freq, and what kind of explosion
will be when he IDes finally... And once again, before he IDies, there will
be a lot of CL???, dupes, etc. Several people mentionned it already.

There is another very important item.
With the weird policy of most of HAM magazines nowadays showing less and
less interest in promotion of contesting, newcomers have to learn contesting
skills somewhere. Actually there 2 options: over-the-air experience and
elmering, this mailing list included. The what a newcomer hears or reads, he
might bring up as an example. So he can say, why should I identify myself
frequently if a well-estimeed contester XY0ZZ does it every 5 QSOs.
Moreover, he promotes it as a pileup management practice!... So why shoud I
ID every QSO?
As a result we have a lot of "vacation DX-peditioners" who enter contests
with an attitude of King of the band, doing, as correctly mentionned here
already, bla-bla-bla, then long bla-bla-bla, and finally just QRZ?

Every contester perfectly knows that there are sometimes circumstances when
it's worth to drop IDing for a couple of QSOs. But newcomers, and there are
ones among this list readers, should be advised a few very basic principles
very clearly:
- Not IDing after every QSO is WRONG
- calling with "last two" is WRONG
- signing /QRP is WRONG