Re: [CQ-Contest] How frequent to ID? Every QSO? No way!

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] How frequent to ID? Every QSO? No way!
From: Eric Hilding <apr@erichilding.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2005 17:20:19 -0800
I originally wrote:

>> Once again, I call on the Contest Sponsors themselves to step up to the
>> plate and exercise some Leadership in this matter.  One additional sentence
>> for clarification in the even rules won't place an additional major burden
>> on ink, toner or paper supplies.

George, K5TR inquired:

> Are you saying you want a rule that stations must send their callsign
> at some set number of times?
>
> Or would this just be a suggestion of good operating practice?

A fair question. On January 15, 2005, I had previously suggested:

> > However, perhaps the contest sponsors themselves are partially to blame for failure to spell out what is "expected" behavior? I
>> encourage ALL contest sponsors to incorporate a sentence or two *WITHIN* the official rules with something to the effect that:
>>
>> "Acceptable contest operating etiquette for DX stations is to ID (send your callsign)
>> AT LEAST once every {some number} QSOs during the event."
>>
>> Does "education" work? Failure to even attempt it certainly guarantees failure.

Of course, an iron-clad "rule" with "Contest Police" monitoring to enforce it with substantial penalties and/or log disqualifications for offenders would clean things up real fast. I'm not really suggesting anything that radical at this point, and I guess the terms "behavior" and/or "etiquette" can be synonymous with "good operating practice" clarification for starters.

With TRlog, the ability to set a callsign ID to every 3rd QSO (or whatever the peer-group acceptable standard should be) is very easy as you know...and apparently with the N1MM logger & maybe others as well.

IMHO, the contest event Sponsors don't need the largest Juevos on the Planet to help rectify things...just some Leadership...and a clarification within the published rules as to what constitutes "Good Sportsmanlike Conduct" in this DX operator callsign ID matter.
As contest participants, perhaps the subscribers of CQ-CONTEST can collectively formulate a DX station callsign ID standard and recommend this to all major event sponsors.

"Time" is an extremely valuable thing in life which can never be replaced, whether in a contest or not. If "education" won't help some of the participants be more respectful of the valuable operating time of their peers, then it may have to boil down at some future point to help them to do so...whether they like it or not, by specific "rules" and appropriate penalties.

Since there are penalty flags in football, a penalty box in hockey and contest related penalties for busted calls, so such a concept is not far-fetched.

73...

Rick, K6VVA