Re: [CQ-Contest] How frequent to ID? Every QSO? No way!

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] How frequent to ID? Every QSO? No way!
From: VR2BrettGraham <vr2bg@harts.org.hk>
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2005 22:18:57 +0000
K5TR drew our attention to:

The topic of how often to sign one's callsign
comes up on this list every so often.

IMHO this post:

http://lists.contesting.com/archives//html/CQ-Contest/1998-07/msg00386.html

is the defintive comment on this subject.

Where N6AA concludes:

Summary: If you feel that the callsign should be signed after every contact, this strongly indicates that your operating skills have developed to the stage where you should indeed sign your call after every contact. However, when you give unconditioned advice to others suggesting that they absolutely always do the same, note that you are primarily broadcasting your skill level rather than giving good counsel.

I find there are few situations where I am limiting myself by signing
not-quite-so-short calls (like XX9TDM or 9M6BG) after every Q.

At around the 3k Q/weekend level, there are moments where being
economical with my call will help, but the vast majority of the time this
is not the case.  Note the prefixes of those calls.

IMHO, until you're busy enough that you don't have time to include
your call, there aren't likely to be too many situations where there
may be a benefit to doing so, especially if your call isn't as
appealing to others to begin with.

So for most folks, always signing your call _is_ appropriate advice,
as most folks aren't N6TJ, N5TJ, CT1BOH or any of that lot operating
from the places they often go to.  Just like K3ZO's technique of finding
a frequency to CQ on, there is much more to it & mere mortals are
better off not trying to apply such advanced techniques under rather
different circumstances.

73, VR2BrettGraham