Re: [CQ-Contest] RE: SO2R with KENWOOD Radios +++

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] RE: SO2R with KENWOOD Radios +++
From: Eric Hilding <dx35@hilding.com>
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2005 05:55:07 -0800
Barry, W2UP wrote:

===
My setup is not exactly the same (FT1000/FT990, Top Ten Band Decoders
and Six Ways, NQN bandpass filters, homebrew SO2R audio switching).
However, I have one related suggestion:
Connect your Band info decoders to the radios, not the computers.
Why?  Suppose you want to do a little operating and the computer is
not turned on.  Your antennas won't switch.  Let the radios supply
the band info.  Don't require an extra loop where it's not needed.
===

Tnx for the very interesting tip, Barry. However, I have one related "question":

How on earth (or otherwise) do I then get rig control from the Kenwood RS-232 to the computer logger? I'm also thinking now I should have indicated I use TR on CW and WriteLog on SSB.

Hmmm...maybe this will help:

Dear Santa Claus:

Do you make "early" deliveries? I hope so, 'cuz I'd really like a whiz bang SO2R setup with 2 radios and ALL the necessary "stuff" all wrapped in to one lightweight enclosure about the size of a briefcase that weighs no more than 5 pounds. This would make it very convenient for CONTEST-Pedition travel. Any time within the next week would be fine.

Tnx very much, Santa.

73...

Rick, K6VVA

P.S. BTW, do you like Chocolate chip cookies with those new colored M&M's, and whole milk or 2% (in case you're on a diet)?