RE: [CQ-Contest] RE: SO2R with KENWOOD Radios +++

To: "Randy Thompson, K5ZD" <k5zd@charter.net>,"Contest Reflector" <CQ-Contest@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [CQ-Contest] RE: SO2R with KENWOOD Radios +++
From: Pete Smith <n4zr@contesting.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2005 09:51:31 -0500
At 09:29 PM 1/22/2005, Randy Thompson, K5ZD wrote:

I use WriteLog and the W5XD external keyer for SO2R.  One serial port from
the radio and I get full SO2R switching all from the keyboard. Plus it
handles the CW sending and radio PTT. And it has a manual A/B switch and CW
speed control so I can operate without the computer being on.

Can't understand why people mess with any of the other solutions.

Except for the single serial port (does Writelog support USB?) I get the same capabilities from my TopTen DXD, plus a $30 Winkey. Makes the cost with the W5XD unit about a wash, except that I don't use (and haven't liked) Writelog. But LPT ports are going away, so sooner or later ....

Maybe it is time for the Windows logging software people and the SO2R hardware people to get together and agree on a standard way of performing "traditional" SO2R LPT port functions via USB (A/B switching, PTT, CW and band data, at least), so that everyone could work to a common interface.

73, Pete N4ZR