Re: [CQ-Contest] RE: SO2R with KENWOOD Radios +++

To: Eric Hilding <dx35@hilding.com>, cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] RE: SO2R with KENWOOD Radios +++
From: "Barry " <w2up@mindspring.com>
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2005 20:26:23 -0000
Eric,
In one of your other posts you mentioned a Y connector.  That's
exactly how I accomplished it.  To the best of my knowledge, there is
no such animal available commercially. So, I made my own.

What I did was buy a few RS232 A/B boxes.  IIRC, I bought them from
cyberguys.com for about $5 each (this was several years ago).  I
removed the A/B switch, and rewired the connectors in a Y
configuration.  Besides being relatively neat wiring, in a nice
enclosure, it was significantly cheaper buying the box complete, than
buying individual RS232 connectors!

Each radio's band data goes to a TTD Band Decoder.  Output from each
decoder goes to a serial port on the computer and a Six Way antenna
switching box via the modified A/B box.  In my case, the Six Way
control lines are again split with another A/B box to control the
Bandpass filters and stub switching (yup, stubs here, too).

If I had the forethought and motivation to draw coherent wiring
diagrams of what I did (as I think back to seeing the volumes of
documention of W2PV's station in the 70s), I'd send you a copy.  But,
I didn't...
73,
Barry