Re: [CQ-Contest] Remembering the BEST TIMES atMulti-MultiOperations.....

To: "Peter Grillo" <ah3c@frii.com>, <TOMK5RC@aol.com>,<cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Remembering the BEST TIMES atMulti-MultiOperations.....
From: "Jim Neiger" <n6tj@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2005 21:54:16 -0800
Good point, Pete, and please join the increasingly long line of us Old
Timers whose memories aren't exactly what they once were.

Minor details, but it wasn't Pepe XE2MX QTH in Ensenada, it was some barren
land that Tree and I found near Tijuana.

And the call wasn't XE2MX, it was XE2SI  (my cheeks still blushing from the
'creative phonetics' that Tree adopted for the "S I" suffix. Use your
imagination here.)

And it wasn't CQ WW CW, rather it was SSB.  The year, 1983.

And you had some of the ops right.  Others N6ND,  N6TJ, N6TR, N6NB (is that
Wayne's call?), and maybe N6VI?

At the time, highest score ever from the 'west coast'  in the CQ WW.

Other M/M operations from there followed, including CW.

Of course, Pepe XE2MX has generously hosted many other operations from his
modest abode in Ensenada.  I'll NEVER forget the time, 1985, or so, that
Dick Norton "suggested" (I had just started employment under Dick's
company), that I should drive OH2BH all the way to Pepe's so that Martti
could operate the CW SPRINT.  Gads.  I only got lost 3 times that night, but
the look on Martti's face was priceless when we found ourselves lost in the
worst slum that Tijuana had to offer.  Martti had told me during the drive
down that Mexico was the Finnish notion of paradise (too many Elvis movies,
singing on the beach in Acapulco, methinks). I thought Martti was going to
faint!

Anyway, we FINALLY found Pepe's in Ensenada, about  a half hour before the
SPRINT started.  Pepe answered the door, I introduced myself, and Martti,
and Pepe being ever the gentlemen, invited us in for dinner, etc.

I said, "Pepe, oh by the way, Martti would like to operate the contest, and
it begins in 30 minutes".  What a great laugh  we had.

Sorry to get so far off the track, but just a couple of my several thousand
contesting experiences, I guess.

Thanks, Pete, for jogging my memory.

73

Jim Neiger  N6TJ

(off to ZD8Z this weekend, and QRV WPX SSB in a week.  Y'all drop