Re: [CQ-Contest] 14.300 MHz

To: "Joe Subich, K4IK" <k4ik@subich.com>, <K3BU@aol.com>,<cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] 14.300 MHz
From: "Mark Steven Williams" <k9gx@n4gn.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2005 05:35:06 +0100
K4IK makes an excellent point. The view from this operating desk is that
every radio has a VFO knob, most have pass band tuning, many have IF
filters, most have audio pass band filtering. I have never seen an amateur
license granting priveledges on an assigned carrier frequency. I've done my
share of phone patches, jumped on the IMRA net one afternoon in response to
a request from a local seminary student and originated some emergency
traffic.

What do the emergency/maritime nets do when the MUF drops below 14 Mhz? Shut
down? Cmon' guys, the argument that 17 "won't work" just doesn't wash. I
think some days 17 might be your most reliable band over certain paths. The
solar cycle is going to bottom out soon. What are you going to do when the
MUF is 11 Mhz. Hmm?

Might have to learn CW and get on 30. Oh m'god!

Agreed. Some health and welfare traffic might be more important than that
new mult or another 150 4 point  QSOs this hour. If you TRULY believe that,
do what most quality DXers and contesters do:

Learn propagation. Have the flexibility to operate on a variety of
frequencies with a variety of antenna systems...and learn to use the
features on your radio

FT5XO was S2 yesterday morning on 20 CW under some idiot QRMing with strings
of "a's and u's" I like to think I made the QSO because of decent listening
and operating skills.

Hate to have my life on the line and have to depend on one of these babies
who complain about QRM a kilohertz down.

The VFO is that big knob in the middle of the front panel, those little
buttons...band selectors.

That's my .02. Pse QSY....

73,

Mark, K9GX