Re: [CQ-Contest] 14.300 MHz

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] 14.300 MHz
From: asciibaron@comcast.net
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2005 14:17:36 +0000
> Oh, if were just that easy.

i checked the US Coast Guards website - it makes no reference to 14.300 as an
official emergency frequency.  i googled "coast guard 14.300" and it returned
several websites, but no official USCG site or statement that 14.300 is an
official emergency frequency.

under Part 97, i also found no reference to 14.300 as a maritime emergency
frequency.

what i did find on the USCG's site was in an emergency i should use channel 16
on my marine radio (156.8).  granted that won't work if i'm out to sea, and, of
course, in an emergency that threatens life or property, i can use any
frequency available to me.

if i heard MAYDAY on any frequency, i would stop and listen to see if i could
render aid.  i think any ham, be he a rag chewer, contester, DXer, foxhunter,
or whatever, would attempt to render aid if possible.

until Part 97 tells me i can't use any frequency allocated to me with my
privileges, i'm going to use any clear frequency.  if you don't like that,
petition the FCC to set aside 14.300.

-steve
KB3KAQ