Re: [CQ-Contest] L.O.T.W.

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] L.O.T.W.
From: Art RX9TX <rx9tx@qrz.ru>
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2005 01:21:34 +0000
 Hello Bill,

 Thursday, July 28, 2005 Bill Turner wrote to Joe Subich, W4TV:

>> Some  logging  programs  are  already  there  ... DXLab/DXKeeper is
>> completely  functional  (and  free). Swisslog and ACLog also handle
>> LotW easily - I understand some other loggers automate parts of the
>> process but I don't know to what extent.

BT> Don't you find it annoying that hours and hours of programming have been
BT> put into logging programs just to make LoTW more user-friendly? Why not do
BT> it at the ARRL's end?

 Bill  you  don't  understand,  no matter what security method is used
 logging programs will need hours and hours of programming anyway, you
 just  won't  see the difference at the user end. But with the current
 method  LoTW
 1)  is  more  flexible as you can send signed logs via e-mail or even
 discette and no one can forge it;
 2)  more  protected  and  (important!)  trusted, because in this case
 password and login is not enough to send forged data into the system,
 you need installed certs and password to unlock them.

--
 73...Art RX9TX        28-Jul-05 01:06 UTC

 "Abstraction is "the process of forgetting information so that things that are
different can be treated as if they were the same"