Re: [CQ-Contest] WW SSB - the corruptive influence of packet

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] WW SSB - the corruptive influence of packet
From: Mark Bailey <kd4d@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 04 Nov 2005 07:54:04 -0500
Ok, well, we disagree then.

I do not agree that packet is just another contesting tool, because
other operators are helping you find multipliers and stations to
work.  It is fundamentally different than other tools that do not
involve "assistance" from other operators (computers,
SO2R, memory keyers, ...). Packet isn't about technology, it's
about assistance.

I also do not see how eliminating single-operator categories would
"spread everyone around more" even if more stations start using
packet.  If anything, I think it would make the packet pileups
worse...

BTW, I sometimes enter "assisted" in Sweepstakes.  I don't have
anything against the category, and I operate WAE which doesn't
have single-operator at all (except as a special character in
the results).  I am NOT in favor of eliminating single-operator
categories in other contests and I'd actually like to see the
WAE folks add it.

73,

Mark, KD4D