Re: [CQ-Contest] WW SSB - the corruptive influence of packet

To: <Shadow12TFS@wmconnect.com>, <CQ-Contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] WW SSB - the corruptive influence of packet
From: "SGT Korey Chandler" <korey.chandler@us.army.mil>
Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2005 06:01:56 -0000
What you are complaining about has nothing to do with packet spots. It
has more to do with a less than optimal station setup. If you want to
bust through a pileup then 1) Improve your antenna system, 2)Add an
amplifier 3)Change QTH for the contest or permanently.

Those who quit a frequency because they can't handle a pileup just
create more room for those who can. It astonishes me to hear someone
gripe about having the chance for an excellent rate. I attribute it to
lack of operating skill which can only be fixed by practice and
experience.

I scored just over 1-million points in last year's WPX SSB contest and
could always tell when I was spotted on packet. The stations came
pouring in and I got a rush working them until they dwindled. I'll take
120+ QSO's an hour any day.

73,

Korey
YI9VCQ/KA5VCQ
Baghdad, Iraq

leaves........
> never to
> return. Is shutting down the system the answer??? I don't know, but I
> think I
> would try something else before going to that drastic of a change.
> Maybe we should get rid of the assisted catagory altogether. It's not
like
> the old days when the majority of the players had no computer or
> web/packet
> access. These days, you would be hard pressed to find many shacks
without
> some
> rudimentary way of accessing packet or the web. Maybe then there will
be
> so many
> spots that it will not cause unmanagble pileups so often.
> There will be those that argue "What about the areas of the world
where
> ops
> lack the ability to use the web as they choose"? What about them?
There