[CQ-Contest] Competitor Friendly Contesting

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Competitor Friendly Contesting
From: "Lee Volante" <lee@g0mtn.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2005 11:34:07 -0000
Hi all,

I've been following this thread with interest....  Coincidentally on local
broadcast radio this week I heard a story about a computer game fan in China
who passed away following playing continuously for about 3 days.

I drew a few parallels immediately - motivated people sitting in front of a PC
for several days continuously, without a break, or much food and drink - that's
us !

Might we see in the future a contest related death, or serious injury ?  Do
people push themselves too far ?  Do contest sponsors have an obligation to the
health and safety of their entrants ?  Might one day someone commence legal
proceedings against a contest sponsor for promoting activities hazardous to
health that are necessary in order to win ?  Are disclaimers required in the
rules ?

I subscribe to the notion that "being the best" requires physical and mental
skills - but do we have the limit set right ?  The marathon is not 100 miles, a
football game does not last for 24 hours - the majority of participants could
not last the course.  Is the bar set at the wrong level for contesting ?

Perhaps more contesters have had car crashes, or suffer with colds and flu for
being tired afterwards, but we don't see it as a trend.  We know the hazards of
working with antennas and towers, but these exist even without any 'endurance
factors' being considered.  I've read many contest reports where many people go
straight into a 48 hour contest after spending the Friday before at work as
normal, or fixing antennas.  So we're into the same ball park for continuous
activity as the deaths recently reported.

Text below detailing the story.

73,

Lee G0MTN

"BEIJING, Nov. 1 -- The recent deaths of two net gamers have once again raised
the issue of the impact of addiction on the online gaming community, and the
health risks involved.
    A young girl nicknamed "Snowly" died last month after playing the online
game "World of Warcraft" for several continuous days during the national day
holiday. Snowly's friends, who share the same game community, say that Snowly
was a very diligent member and a key official of their community, who was
always connected to the Internet.

    Several days before Snowly's death, the girl was said to be preparing for a
relatively difficult part of the game and had very little rest. She told her
friends that she felt very tired.

    A big online funeral was held for Snowly one week after her death. But the
event was sadly overshadowed by the death of another game enthusiast nicknamed
"Nan Ren Gu Shi".

    Thereafter, several online game communities have posted announcements to
urge their members to pay attention to their heath."