Re: [CQ-Contest] 1 ponters for CQWW - A PROPOSED SOLUTION

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] 1 ponters for CQWW - A PROPOSED SOLUTION
From: "Ted Bryant" <w4nz@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2005 22:37:59 -0500
Excuse me for repeating myself, but when I posted this earlier NQ4I was the
only one who picked up
on what I had proposed. (unusual for this group, not even a flame or two) So,
let me attempt to
state this a little better:

Regearding ZERO point QSO's:
I always thought it a little odd that in a contest where scores matter, a
perfectly legitimate QSO
between two stations could result in no points scored for either. In the CQWW
the root cause of this
angst with zero points is due to stations needing their own country/zone
multiplier. So they pounce
on some CQing station who has already probably worked several in the callers
country/zone and
neither get any point credit from the encounter.

The discussions about 1 point for same country/zone QSO's is an attempt to fix
this, but has the
risk of changing the "flavor" of the CQWW and from recent comments I do not
believe anyone wants
that.

But, is it right for the calling station to get credit for a country/zone mult
while the CQing
station
"wastes" his time being a good sport and gets nothing?

So, here is a proposal:

Let's reward each station for the QSO.  Let the calling station get multiplier
credit for the
same-country/zone (but zero points as it is now) but the CQing station gets 1
point for the QSO. To
let the CQing station know that the caller needs the same-country/zone
multiplier, let the caller
send "00" (zero-zero) as the zone in his exchange. So everyone gets 1 point for
each "00" zone they
work and those who work stations in their same-country/zone get the multiplier
but zero points.

I can hear the logging programmers (and log checkers) groaning now :((

73, Ted W4NZ