Re: [CQ-Contest] Holding a Freq Before a Contest

To: mail@fkurz.net
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Holding a Freq Before a Contest
From: Bill Coleman <aa4lr@arrl.net>
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2006 22:12:52 -0500
On Jan 8, 2006, at 1:49 PM, Fabian Kurz wrote:

> I don't think it would be a good idea to install such rules. I don't
> find it unsportsmanlike at all, since everyone has the same chances
> and the right to do it before a contest, and just like in the contest
> itself it will be not more or less difficult to find a good spot on
> the band.

For SS Phone 2004 (LP), I warmed up a nice frequency on 20m a half-
hour before the contest. When the contest actually started, the QRM
level went so high that the frequency became unproductive within the
first couple of minutes.

I moved about 12 kHz away and found a nice frequency that I stayed on
for a couple of hours.

My point is, even if you get on a frequency before a contest,
conditions can change rapidly to eliminate any value that frequency
might possess.

I don't see that there's any problem with warming up a frequency.

             -- Wilbur Wright, 1901