Re: [CQ-Contest] Holding a Freq Before a Contest

To: sawyered@earthlink.net, cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Holding a Freq Before a Contest
From: "Richard DiDonna" <nn3w@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 08 Jan 2006 15:43:44 -0500
I agree with Ed. I mean, Jesus, are we going to start regulating the bahavior of contests before the contest even begins? That is very very silly.

Am I going to be reclassified as a M/S entrant because W9GE helped me solder a loose connector 10 minutes before the contest?

Am I going to be a SO LP instead of a SO QRP entry because 2 minutes before the contest I tuned up my right with 100 watts to the antenna?

As far as I am concerned, what you do before the clock ticks over is your business unless explicitly and expressly directed by the rules of the contest (i.e., WRTC listening rule and Field Day preparation rule).

As to packet, I'm not sure if I agree with Ed. Spotting assistance is not allowed, nor are non- amateur means of solliciting QSOs. But, with respect to packet, who may be there 5 minutes prior to the contest may not be there 5 minutes into the contest. And as to arranging schedules, what is so different between this and say NCCC or PVRC having a known meeting time on a particular band for the club members to trade QSOs amongst each other?

This is all very petty garbage that is being fought amongst mostly mid level operators. Those who win and win consistently do so because they're good operators, know the bands well, have good ears, and can hang in there 46 to 48 out of the 48 hours of a contest.

73 Rich NN3W