Re: [CQ-Contest] New category: "Wires only"??

To: CQ Contest <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] New category: "Wires only"??
From: Michael Coslo <mjc5@psu.edu>
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2006 08:36:06 -0500
On Jan 26, 2006, at 10:10 PM, Tyler Stewart wrote:

> No.  All you have to do is say that all antennas must be confined
> to an area
> with a 100ft or 30 meter radius.  There should also be a height
> limitation
> of , say, 70 feet max for all antennas.  RX antennas unrestricted
> except for
> the adhering to the 100 ft radius circle.  Those with more than one
> antenna
> for a band that qualifies must choose 1 antenna to use per band and
> cannot
> change.  Power limited to 100 watts output.

        Who's going to enforce this? One of the side effects of in-depth
rules is that the more rules added, the more cheating happens,
inadvertent as well as purposeful. And the more interpretation is
needed.

        Does a loaded antenna's coils add to the length? How about my
situation where I have trailing ends?  Is that 70 feet height
restriction on average, or if any portion reaches 70 feet, it is
illegal? How am I going to measure and document that my antenna is
legal for the contest?

        What I think would be a *hoot*  would be a contest in which all the
participants had to use a specific antenna for the contest. That type
of antenna might change from year to year, but say one year it might
be a G5RV, and the next it might be a monobander dipole, etc. There
would be a maximum vertical length of coax allowed on the antenna -
which would pretty  much control the height. The contesters would
install and use the antennas during the contest, and there you have
it. 100 watts max power.

        Not very practical, but I think it would be fun. And probably about
as level a playing field as we can get.  I would wager though that
the people who are winning the contests now would still win! 8^)

        - 73 de Mike KB3EIA -