Re: [CQ-Contest] Contest Rig

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Contest Rig
From: Bill Tippett <btippett@alum.mit.edu>
Date: Mon, 05 Jun 2006 19:47:30 -0400
W4ZV: The 16 bit A/D you mentioned would not even allow the current
dynamic range of the Delta 44 (24-bit)

S56A:  Minor difference being whole 60 MHz input range instead of 96
kHz VFO DC translation!

         So what?  I listen to 1 kHz at a time.
If multiple RX's are needed for wider splits,
SDR-X can have multiple phase-locked
RXs.  New A/D's will cover 192 kHz BTW.
Multiple RXs could be used several ways...
SO2R, true phase-locked diversity, variable
phase offsets for horizontal or vertical beam
steering, cancellation of local interference
including splatter, etc.  Close-spaced
strong signal performance, phase noise,
etc. in a single RX version should be better
than we can imagine today.

         As I said before, SDRs are not
yet  "contest friendly", but give it time and we
may see them evolve sooner than we think.

                         73,  Bill  W4ZV