Re: [CQ-Contest] Contest Rig, Dream Radio 1 ??

To: <k3bu@optonline.net>, <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Contest Rig, Dream Radio 1 ??
From: "Ken K7ZUM" <Ken.Knopp@verizon.net>
Date: Fri, 02 Jun 2006 07:38:51 -0700
So, Yuri, since ur not satisified with the Wonder Radio, what ever happened
to the Dream Radio 1 that you were all geared up to bring to the Ham Radio
masses ???  it's been what,  three years since you announced plans for your
own
wonder radio ? where's it at ?? I have been waiting around wanting to buy
one,
but still, after three years, no rig ??? When can the Ham Radio Contesting
community be expecting your new whiz bang rig ???

DE....Ken.....K7ZUM.........

> > N6TJ: Next subject??
> >
> > American patriotism - buy Orion :-)
> >
> > 73 de Mario, S56A, N1YU
>

> Especially on the Memorial Day (WPX) weekend!  :-(
>
> I have been trying to be "patriotic" and forgiving and patient and eager
to keep upgrading this software upgradeable contest wunder.

> Much of the coming upgrades have been slow, fixing one thing and messing
up three more.

> Long awaited ver. 2.... turned out to be "more stable" but deaf to weak
signals and with messed up DSP. I upgraded just before the contest, it was
more stable, didn't quit once, but second night I was trying to dig out weak
JAs on 160, switched to my IC781 and those "weak" JAs were perfectly
readable on ICOM. What else did I miss? Cost me coming short of beating US
record on SSB.
> After the contest I found out that ver 2 software has problems with weak
signals and beta testers in know were using unannounced, unreleased ver
1.373B3 or B5. Thanks TT and beta testers! Way to keep hotshot contesters
informed and armed with the "best".

> Next trip to W8LRL, I figured I use his Orion, no need to haul mine, they
are the same, I brought his rig up to snuff. Half an hour from his QTH, he
cells me that his Orion just went dead. We tried all the resets to
rescuscitate it, no luck, orion had to go back to TT mama. Something with
processor not liking me and going puff.

> Few times I operated QRP or LP (not to offend delicate champion rig) and
experienced about 5 - 7 "quits" during the contest. Not a big deal for
little pistol, plenty of time between the pileups and to reboot the quits.
Nice "feature" to give the tired contester a break.

> Last WPX CW I loaded the best 1.373B3 software, fired up on 160 LP (Orion
doesn't like RF in a shack) and braved the QRN and empty band. NB and AN
works the best of all the versions and it helped to copy some weak ones
among the static crashes. Due to sparse activity I used SWEEP display,
trying to see if there are any other brave souls foolish enough to show down
on 160. I called plenty of CQs, hoping to attract some multis. Band seemed
soooo dead and I would sometimes switch to 80 or 40 to see if anybody is on,
or if the contest is still on. No signals there either. Hmmm. Then I
realized that my Orion decided to spare me of signal overload and produced
perfectly "dead" bands, with no signals just band noise. Power OFF - ON and
bands came to life. Sooo, looks like I have been CQing my head off and
parading as a baby alligator - no ears. I apologize to those who called me
and I kept CQing in their face, I simply did not hear anything except the
band noise, which seemed so no
> rmal for "empty band".
>
> I think I have reached point, when I realize that I am not good enough for
this wunder radio and we have to part our ways, especially when I am gearing
up for serious HP operations and can't afford dead air and this "terrific"
radio that keeps telling me something. I am getting old fast, and don't have
much time to wait for the ultimate software release that will fix everything
and not screw anything else. Just keep wondering, is it just me and my
lemon, or others have similar experiences?

> Apparently original Orion with ver. 1.373 is better than Orion II with ver
2...  software, so if one doesn't mind occasional quitting, it is way to go
and they gained value on the used rig market. Anyone looking for Orion with
filters and AT with little hours on it, you can have it for $2800.

> In the mean time, I will be looking at IC7800 or FT2000, until DR1 gets
ready for the prime time.
> Otherwise my present favorites are modified FT1000D and IC781 with
TimeWave DSP 599ZXs.

> There is something good about good old analog demodulation rigs and weak
signal reception. When I sold my modified TS870 to OK2RZ, he immediately
noticed that he had hard time to decipher weak signals, which on my old
modified Drake R4B were "comfortable" copy. It turned out that the DSP
demodulation makes it rough copy. Looks like DSP gets "too smart" and has
problems distinguishing between good and "no good" weak signals. I know that
DSP can do wonders, moonbounce guys and SDR radios seem to benefit from it,
but it is something to consider and pay attention to. So don't throw those
analog "boat anchors" away yet, looks like FT1000D and IC 781 are still da
contester's radios. Add some INRAD roofing filters and even OMNI VI+ would
come close to IMD figures of Drakes and Orion and give an edge for the rough
rides on crowded contest bands.

> FWIW from this and that shack.
> Thanks for all them contest Q's and sorry about not hearing you
occasionally! It won't happen again!