Re: [CQ-Contest] Contest Rig

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Contest Rig
From: "Mike Brown" <k9mi@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2006 23:17:14 -0000
I bought a used MP that was pretty much filtered to the max. As luck would
have it, my car dies. After 14 years! They should make those things better!
Anyway I hated to see the MP go, but sometimes priorities make us do these
things we would rather not. 6 months later, I had about $1800, and I was
having withdrawals with no hf rig. The market for a contest quality rig in
that price range is slim. Unless I wanted to buy used, and I didn't, I
bought a Field. And of course, without it being filtered like the MP I sold,
it really wasn't ready to go, but I knew this going in. A few months later,
and I get the roofing filter, and the 500hz filter for the 455khz IF. Now,
it is excellent in crowded conditions. Later on, I want to put the 250hz
filters in also. So, this radio isn't moving.

I think this all started with Bob's questions about contest rigs. Bob, don't
take this the wrong way. I'm never going to be a contester compared to most
of the guys. But, I still enjoy it more then anything in the hobby. While
the rig plays an important part of the results, it's more related to who is
in the chair, then what rig he's using.

73, Mike K9MI