Re: [CQ-Contest] Contest Rig

To: David Hachadorian <k6ll@adelphia.net>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Contest Rig
From: Bill Coleman <aa4lr@arrl.net>
Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2006 22:01:25 -0400
On Jun 1, 2006, at 11:42 PM, David Hachadorian wrote:

> What you, in your expensive high-tech bubble, think is a
> clear run frequency, may actually be terrible, with loud
> stations only 200 hz on both sides.  Many S&P'ers are going
> to tune right by you, because it appears to be an
> undecipherable mishmash. If a run frequency doesn't sound
> good with a pair of 500 Hz filters, it is probably not a
> good frequency.

I always thought you judged a frequency by the rate that it produced,
not by how it sounded.

One year, I showed up at a local club Field Day at 11 pm. They put me
on 40m SSB, which wasn't apparently doing anything. The club had put
up a two-element wire beam about 50 feet high.

The band sounded terrible. S9 noise everywhere, very few signals.
Since no one else was doing anything, I tuned around and found a
reasonably clear frequency and started calling CQ. Bingo. Instant
rate of about 60/hr.

             -- Wilbur Wright, 1901