Re: [CQ-Contest] Unique perspectives

To: CQ Contest <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Unique perspectives
From: "Kenneth E. Harker" <kenharker@kenharker.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2006 13:29:25 -0700
On Mon, Jul 24, 2006 at 11:50:01AM -0700, Jack Brindle wrote:
> But Tree, why is it bad?
>
> The QSOs still have to be made. The exchanges have to be sent and
> received correctly. Just because one's friends get on to give him,
> but no one else, a QSO, doesn't necessarily make it bad thing. I can
> see in WRTC where the intent was to keep things very even between the
> operators. but that is a very specialized contest. In a contest such
> as Sweepstakes, where getting QSOs from non-participants has long
> been promoted, it just doesn't make sense to eliminate this activity.
> By giving the operator a QSO, his friends had to learn what to send
> and receive for the QSO to be valid. Or he had to take the time, in
> the contest, to teach them. This is bad?

You seem to be confusing a log checking and scoring process with what
will actually happen on the air.  Let's say for argument's sake that
points from unique QSOs were removed from a log's score in the log
checking process, and all contestants know that this will happen.
Will this in any way change how they operate?  Will you not log a QSO
or tell someone to go away?  Since you cannot predict which QSOs
will or will not be uniques, it would have no effect whatsoever on
how people operate.  You will still want to work that local guy who
gets on and makes one QSO with you because you have no idea whether or
not they will also make other QSOs before the contest is over.

Since removing points earned during QSOs with unique call signs will
not change the way people operate the contest, but will eliminate some
of the cheating that we know goes on, I think there's a pretty compelling
case for change.

> By the same view we should outlaw QSOs between contest club members.
> An argument could be made that since these QSOs result in double
> points for the club competition, it is unfair to competing clubs. Of
> course those clubs benefit from the same rule and QSOs between their
> own members. So perhaps its not such a bad thing since it promotes
> club growth and participation.

We should just eliminate club competition altogether. See NCJ, Jan/Feb,
2002, p. 29.  But that's a spearate debate.

> We are supposed to be having fun in contests. There needs to be a
> place for the super-competitive stations as well as the rest of us
> who are out to have fun and outdo our previous best. The "uniques"
> discussion is just one example.

I don't understand why removing the QSO points earned when working
unique call signs would have a greater impact on a non-"super-competitive"
station than it would on a "super-competitive" station.  The stations
that would really benefit from the change would be those that (a)
don't cheat, and (b) copy call signs really well.  And will stations
that are not "competitive" even care at all?  Does a station that is
not "super-competitive" really care if their score is 110,000 points
instead of 112,000 points?  Or would they care more to know that they
were in the top half of the logs submitted from their Division, or that
they beat three out of the four fellow club members they were going up
against?  I really do not understand how this can be perceived as a
big gun vs. the rest of us debate.

--
Kenneth E. Harker WM5R
kenharker@kenharker.com