Re: [CQ-Contest] CT vs. N1MM

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] CT vs. N1MM
From: Pete Smith <n4zr@contesting.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2006 10:38:11 -0400
I'm biased - I work on the N1MM project - but I think there is no comparison.
N1MM really took off from where TR Log stopped, which was really a quantum step
forward over CT, particularly on CW.

A critical difference is that both TR and N1MM programs are "modal' - that is,
they work differently (and intuitively) for running and S&P.  When you are
running, you type a station's call and hit Enter.  The program sends the other
station's call and your exchange to him.  You copy his exchange, hit Enter
again, and the program logs the QSO and sends TU QRZ...

In S&P mode, the same keystrokes are used, but the result is different.  Type
the call and hit Enter, and your call is sent.  If the station answers you copy
your exchange and hit Enter again, and it sends your exchange to him and logs
the QSO.  Couldn't be simpler.

I read Mal's complaint about complexity.  From my own experience doing user
support, most of the problems result from people trying to DO really
complicated things with the software, like SO2R with one or both radios
operating split, or experimenting with advanced capabilities and getting fouled
up.

For a beginner, you really need only 2 or 3 windows open - the Entry window,
the Check window, and the Log.  Then you can add things as you become
comfortable, and if you get tangled up, it's just a matter of renaming the
simple .ini file and starting over.

73, Pete N4ZR