Re: [CQ-Contest] CT vs. N1MM

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] CT vs. N1MM
From: Peter Dougherty <w2irt@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2006 19:54:04 -0400
At 06:46 PM 10/19/2006, Bill, W6WRT wrote:
>I agree with nearly everything Peter says, but he doesn't mention one
>thing I have noticed over the years: N1MM is prone to bugs. Many times
>I have seen a new release cause something to not work which was
>working right in previous releases. Many new releases are done to fix
>something broken by a previous release. I'm not a programmer and I
>don't know why this is so, but it is.

<snip>

>Bottom line: I prefer N1MM for its features, but I keep WriteLog handy
>just in case.

Yes, I agree. That's my frustration with N1MM at times as well. What
I'd love to see Tom do is work for a known-stable, bug-free,
tested-up-the-wazoo version, and once achieved, also make it an
install version (much as the long-in-the-tooth version 5.7.2 is now).
IMHO, this should be released at least once a year, at the beginning
of contest season (i.e. about now), and maybe another one in
February, a month before ARRL and WPX.

Don't get me wrong, I love the aggressive development cycle and I
occasionally enjoy sanity testing releases on my own configuration,
etc. However, for CQWW, ARRL Int'l and WPX I want stable and no
surprises. In other words, I'd like to see a locked-down
ready-for-CQWW version out now, 10 days before the Big Show. That
should be enough time for me to push it, poke it prod it, bend, fold,
spindle and mutilate it before going into a "production" environment.
On Oct, 31st, I'll be glad to play with the new toys again <grin>.

Cheers,

Peter,
W2IRT