[CQ-Contest] Calling Out Needed Sections - Soliciting Contacts?

To: "CQ-Contest Reflector" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Calling Out Needed Sections - Soliciting Contacts?
From: "Ward Silver" <hwardsil@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2006 13:27:42 -0800
"I did see several cries for NL on the cluster and was tempted to respond"

Um, is it just me or does making a spot with "Please spot [pick what you
need]" or "I need [xxx]" qualify as a solicitation of contacts?

>From the ARRL Contest General Rules at
http://www.arrl.org/contests/announcements/rules-all.html:
3.10.The use of non-Amateur Radio means of communication (for example,
Internet or telephone) to solicit a contact (or contacts) during the contest
period is not permitted.
That includes U and M class stations in the Sweepstakes.

If I am CQing away and put out a spot with my call and frequency - I'm
self-spotting.  BZZZT!

If I am S&Ping and put out a spot with somebody else's call and frequency,
but I add "need [xxx]" and it has my call as the spotter...the difference
from what is clearly verboten is sliced thinner than high-priced meat at a
downtown deli.

In my personal opinion - not ARRL policy - those sorts of spots are Not OK
in any category.

73, Ward N0AX