Re: [CQ-Contest] [NCCC] SS Packet DANGER, DANGER, Will Robinson!!!

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] [NCCC] SS Packet DANGER, DANGER, Will Robinson!!!
From: "Ron Notarius W3WN" <wn3vaw@verizon.net>
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2006 21:42:38 -0500
Had they called the category something other than "assisted" (what, I don't
know... in SS they call it "unlimited" but that too causes some interesting
assumptions), we wouldn't be having this discussion.

My understanding has always been that the "assisted" category(s) referred to
you as the Single Operator receiving operating information on a regular
basis from a "feed" such as the packet cluster (either via VHF or via
Internet), thus giving you a steady stream of information about where other
people were operating and who was hearing them.

That is a far cry from "assistance" from others in non-operating ways, such
as the family member or significant other bringing you meals and
refreshments; and from "assistance" as in someone casually mentioning to you
on the air that "did you work the P5 up 10 from here?"

In other words, would-be legal hair-splitting about what type of
"assistance" is and isn't permittable in the "assisted" category is ignoring
the fundamental determining factor in whether or not you are in SO or A
category.  IMHO.  YMMV, VWPBL(STn).

73, ron w3wn