Re: [CQ-Contest] Little Old Ladies Changing Computers

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Little Old Ladies Changing Computers
From: "Leigh S. Jones" <leigh@j1s.us>
Date: Sat, 2 Dec 2006 11:09:08 -0800
I like K8GT's idea very much, but unfortunately CT doesn't run
under Linux either.  Even if you program a new version of CT
yourself, there are problems under all UNIXes.  I've tried with
less than my desired results to build programs under Linux that
send code with satisfactory rhythm.  What's needed is a
"real-time Linux" build for sending code, and Ubuntu interrupts
are not serviced fast enough.  A real-time Linux build has been
developed for financial transactions by at least one company,
so someone is certain to spawn a free release of that software
soon.

I've read now some suggestions that old DOS disks be put
into the computer.  They've almost got the right idea.

But let's be practical.  There's no sense in playing with kid's
stuff like DOS-sized disk drives in a modern computer.  It's
always necessary to add more and bigger disks to your
computer.  On most new computers designed for modern
SATA disks it's not possible to put an old ATA disk drive
into it anyway.  Instead of putting a tiny, old, slow disk into
your new computer, put a big, new, fast disk in.  Put a 2.1
GB (MSDOS sized) DOS formatted partition on the new
disk and partition the remainder of the disk as desired while
running Windows.  Temporarily disconnect the original
Drive 0 to configure your computer to run with the new
drive only.  Install MSDOS on the 2.1GB partition
Reconfigure disks the way they originally were.  Put GRUB
on your computer.  This is the free software "Grand Unified
Bootloader", and it will allow you to select which operating
system to boot.  CT, installed on your MSDOS partition,
may be executed either under MSDOS during the contest
or under Windows for post-contest log reading.  During the
contest, you may want to instruct the BIOS to boot MSDOS
directly from the new disk -- this bypasses GRUB so that
you don't lose any critical seconds should a reboot be
required during the contest.