Re: [CQ-Contest] Annoying trend

To: "Kjboasi@aol.com" <Kjboasi@aol.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Annoying trend
From: "Rick Tavan N6XI" <rtavan@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2007 10:35:38 -0800
I use a pre-fill DB as a keystroke saver and reasonableness checker. If a
discrepancy is such that there is reasonable doubt, I'll ask. For example,
unless I know you're sending with a computer, I'll ask for a repeat when the
item sent is similar to the item suggested. Lots of folks send manually
check 93 but when asked for a fill say 94 and when asked to confirm 94 say
"No, 92." They just don't send well and don't correct (or even notice?)
their own sending errors. If I know you're sending with a computer and
you're Q5, I'll log 93 as sent and go away. But if you're weak or QRM'ed, I
may ask for a repeat. If the sent item is nowhere close to the suggestion
and copy is good, I'll accept it without question. If copy is awful I'll ask
for a repeat. I never accept pre-fill data that I don't actually hear on the
air. I don't see anything unethical, impractical or annoying (at least to
me) about it. If a contest sponsor were to outlaw pre-fill databases for a
particular contest, I would, of course, observe the rule.

73,

/Rick N6XI