Re: [CQ-Contest] Assistance & Entry Status

To: "'Hank Greeb'" <n8xx@arrl.org>, <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Assistance & Entry Status
From: "Don Cassel" <ve3xd@rogers.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2007 11:36:01 -0500
Hank,

I mostly agree with you except for all of the different categories where I
suspect you are tongue in cheek. Actually the computer logging software
could at least be equated with half a person. I recall my first experiences
back in the early 70s with contesting where you had to keep check sheets and
manually enter calls on them and also check for dups against the sheet. This
in addition to manually keeping a log all while operating the contest. The
computer does this much better and faster so there is virtually no delay in
the process. It also does partial checking on the fly, updates your score
and a lot more if you're so inclined. And those search and pounce memories
come in real handy when you hear that new mult but there is too big a pileup
to hang around. You can go back any time and check for when to pounce.

I'd be happy with existing categories but without assisted (Unlimited in
SS). Many contests (including some of the major European ones) have already
done this and it seems to work well.

73, Don VE3XD