Re: [CQ-Contest] combination of, bragging, back-scratching

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] combination of, bragging, back-scratching
From: "Leigh S. Jones, KR6X" <kr6x@kr6x.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2007 17:30:15 -0800
> I have been trying to understand why a group as seemingly competitive as
> contesters would even think of spotting stuff for their rivals to benefit
> from. They spend small (or large) fortunes setting up hugely elaborate
> stations in order to beat "the other guy" and then turn around and tell
> "the
> other guy" where the points are.
>
> So far, I have narrowed it down to bragging (Hey! Look what I worked!) and
> back-scratching (I'll spot stuff for you if you spot stuff for me). Maybe
> combination of both.
>
> 73 -- Paul VO1HE

Evolution allowed this to continue after beginnings that were not related to
contests at all.

DX spotting networks began before home computers.  In many urban areas
the local DX club had a two meter frequency on which they met -- often this
was a repeater.  They'd simply keep to habits when DX contests came
around.  At first, the nature of the spotting nets was strictly local, and
the
more useful nets were the ones that were best supported by the locals.

If you are not living in an area where this kind of network has been
practical
since perhaps the late 1960's then you may have missed out on a great deal
of fun.

Spotting networks have evolved.  The internet has made spotting networks
world-wide in nature.  It's a good thing that the evolution of spotting
networks has opened the process to the world rather than closing them
up into tiny cells of local and regional contest clubs jealously guarding
their "intelligence", don't you think?  It's probably not the contesters
that
have driven that; more likely that's the day-to-day operation of the
spotting
nets.