Re: [CQ-Contest] Assistance & Entry Status

To: Hank Greeb <n8xx@arrl.org>, cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Assistance & Entry Status
From: J F <phriendly1@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2007 10:32:28 -0800 (PST)
I think we should have separate categories for manned
and unmanned stations.

Seems like having a person in front of the rig is a
distinct disadvantage ;o)

73,
Julius
n2wn

Technology can be a convenience, such as: keyers
(remember when they were an issue versus bugs and
straight keys?), computer logging (what per centage of
the logs are sent in paper form, pretty small these
days. Do we have different categories for DOS and
Windows? Frankly, you can screw up a computer log as
easy, if not easier, as a paper log), antenna
switches, etc. These are just improvements in
technology.

I disagree about using a reflector to find spots.
That's like having 8000 other folks looking for needed
multipliers and letting me know exactly where to find
them. This is worth more than adding an operator.
Sorry, that's assisted in my mind.

SO2R, another story altogether, unless assisted by a
spotting network. I think you have to have a lot on
the ball to make this effective as a single op. I know
I can't compete against someone who is good at this
with a single radio.

As to building your own, some contests already have
had this (Stew Perry last year and some QRP contests).
Check out the latest QEX for a rather impressive
homebrew transceiver.

We'll NEVER have a category for all the possibilities
unless the number warrant it.