[CQ-Contest] Getscores, 3830, and cherrypicking

To: "CQ-Contest@Contesting.COM" <CQ-Contest@Contesting.COM>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Getscores, 3830, and cherrypicking
From: Richard DiDonna NN3W <nn3w@cox.net>
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2008 13:24:57 -0500
There's been a lot of discussion recently about electronic logging, contest
reporting, and live scoring, etc.  Clearly amateur radio contesting has
advanced to a point where it is reaching a realm of the electronic unknown.

As has been joked about quite often, there is concern that 3830, while being
the de facto claimed scores board for most all major (and minor contests), has
unfortunately become a menu board for entry category selection.

In light of this I'd propose the following:

For MAJOR contests (we're talking the big 8 or 10 (ARRL DX, Sweeps, CQWW, WPX,
IARU, RDXC, etc.)), if you believe that you are going to be in a COMPETITIVE
class of operation (that is you believe that you're shooting for a plaque or a
top country billing) you MUST report to the contest sponsor no later than the
MIDPOINT in the contest your entry class.  So, if you're operating SOABHP and
want to win that plaque, the CQWW awards committee had better hear about it by
0000z on the second day of the contest.

I advocate this point as it does allow for internal decisions about operating.
Thus, if you're operating SOABHP and decide that conditions on the high bands
really stink but your 40 meter score was pretty damned good, you can claim that
class - but no later than the midpoint of the contest.  Once declared though,
that is your contesting class.  No more looking at 3830 and deciding, "Wow, I
could have won SOABHP(A) if I looked at packet for one milisecond.  Maybe I'll
change my entry to Assisted."

Obviously for those who are casual entrants who aren't looking to take home
wood, their score and class should be taken as reported.

Thoughts?

73 Rich NN3W