Re: [CQ-Contest] Getscores, 3830, and cherrypicking

To: Dale Putnam <daleputnam@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Getscores, 3830, and cherrypicking
From: Barry <w2up3@verizon.net>
Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2008 17:39:26 +0000
If you are truly competitive, you won't win if you don't operate the
last 45 minutes of the contest.  The low bands are in good shape for
running as well as finding new stations, and I invariably work some new
mults in the final hour.

Hey, I wouldn't mind a virtual contest.  I have a blast playing with
Morserunner - any time day or night, with or without sunspots, I can
generate a 300 QSO/hour run!
73,
Barry W2UP

Dale Putnam wrote:
> And then, what stops me from taking the last 45 minutes of contest time to
> rerun the logs... and
> fix the errors.... maybe we need to just hook up everyone to each other... to
> prove no one
> cheats... and contest.. that way.. then the computers can run checks all the
> time to see
> who cheats and who doesn't.... Gee.. that seems fair.
>   But then... take it one more step... and do away with the radio... just use
> the computer
> and internet... logging to be done locally, checked instantly..scored
> instantly, winner declared within
> seconds of the finish. Sounds right good to me.
>   We could spend more time building programs, making calls at the instant
> correctly, turning more and more of it over
> to the program and machine. Shucks, if everyone were to put their true honest
> effort into it, we could pretty much
> become machine and program people, and by next season, sit back and letter
> rip. Watch and applaud the winners..
> boost the losers with better programs, if they can afford them, and if not,
> then they can pick up last years...
>   And we wouldn't even have to worry about TVI or RFI or any of the silly
> antenna restrictions....   Actually... and seriously now, can we ever
> actually control cheating? Really? From the beginning of competition,
> there have been "cheater" ways. Some have become new, better, and accepted..
> some are not. Some are
> innovative, some are not.
>   Nuff said from me.
>   I remain, as always, competitive with..... the only station that I am
> absolutely sure that doesn't cheat....--... ...--Dale - WC7S in Wy> > What
> should be changed is the contest deadlines. All scores should be > submitted
> immediately upon the end of the contest.

Barry Kutner, W2UP             Newtown, PA