[VHFcontesting] Icom 7000 vs other HF/VHF/UHF rigs

To: cq-contest@contesting.com, vhfcontesting@contesting.com,vhf@w6yx.stanford.edu
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Icom 7000 vs other HF/VHF/UHF rigs
From: John Geiger <n5ten@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2008 19:30:39 -0800 (PST)
I am currently running one of the HF/VHF/UHF mobile
sized rigs, and have been looking now and then at the
Icom 7000, and wonder how it compares with the other
rigs on the market.  Now I know all about the DSP
based filters and the flexibility they afford you in
creating different filter widths, etc, but the filters
in the rig I am using do well enough and adding the AF
DSP bandpass filtering cleans it up a good deal more
(even though it is at AF level).  So I am not going to
make a decision based on the DSP filters.

Switching to an Icom 7000 would run me about $400 to
$450 more, so is it worth it?  How does the front end
on the 7000 compare with these other rigs?  How about
the other features on it, and how easy is it to use?
Would the extra $450 or so really give me that much
greater performance?  I do have to admit, the voice
keyer would be nice for roving operations.

73s John AA5JG