Re: [CQ-Contest] [NCCC] DUMB CUT NUMBER

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] [NCCC] DUMB CUT NUMBER
From: "Eric Hilding" <b38@hilding.com>
Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2008 23:34:18 -0800
On Fri, 15 Feb 2008 16:23:15 -0800, I wrote:

>>On 15m PY5/OK5MM sent me 5NN AK ... what a DUMB CUT NUMBER

Jim, K9YC, replied:

>Yes, that's stupid to the extreme. So are the stations working
>split. No excuse for that during a contest. I refuse to work them.

The cut numbers were apparently a brainchild to shave more seconds or ms off
exchanges, that when multiplied by umpteen QSOs, can help boost the coveted
rate (via more Net time available for more Q's) and ultimately yield a
larger score.

Why don't we just take things to the next level in Contesting?  That is,
DITCH THE RS(T) part of any exchange that currently uses this albatross.
Think of all the additional time saved for more Q's!

And while we are at it, also AXE the generic TU and shorten things to the
standard Sprint acknowledgment of a single R.

Then, also make it MANDATORY that if the CQing station gets your call
correctly the first time, the only thing you are allowed to do as the
S&P-Eee is to send your Mult ID (in the current RST/MULT only exchange
contest).  If you're caught sending your call again or anything else (OK...
even KB), you get DQ'd.  I'm sure there are many Non-Contester DX-Pedition
frequency COPS who would be thrilled to be volunteer CM's (Contest
Monitors).  A new Cottage Industry would emerge. Instead of UP-UP-UP, we
would start hearing DQ-DQ-DQ on the bands - mostly with the same QLF
straight keys NON-fists ;-(

Yeah, let's get rid of all the unwanted, meaningless RS(T) baggage so we can
all bag more Q's as the Sunspot Cycle rises again (whenever that might be).

73 & KB...

The Locust